Thank you for your interest in joining MTANS. If this is your first time applying for membership in MTANS, or if you are returning after your membership has lapsed, you are in the right place.
If you are renewing your membership in MTANS, please click here.
We are here to help you throughout the process. If at any time you have difficulties with our on-line process, please give our office a call at 902.425.2445 Monday to Friday between 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM and we would be happy to help.
To make your application process go smoothly, please have the following documents ready to support your application - because we'll need images of them uploaded to our system before we can approve your membership. (Alternatively, you'll need to pop them in the mail to us, but, more on that later).
To prove your identity, a document with your photograph, name, and signature (passport, drivers licence, student card)
Massage Therapy Diploma, or, proof of graduation from a Massage Therapy Program
Two letters of recommendation from schools, colleagues or employers attesting to your ethical character and your support of the standards and practice of the profession. These persons cannot be related to you.
A current certificate of First Aid/CPR Training (on-line courses are not acceptable)
A current criminal record background check
In addition and only if applicable:
If you are a member of a Regulatory College of Massage Therapy, a verification of registration letter
If you are a member of a Provincial Massage Therapy Association, a letter of standing with that association
As part of your application process you will be charged a non-refundable processing fee of $35, and non-refundable annual dues of $400, pro-rated in your first year based on the number of months of membership in MTANS. The on-line system will automatically calculate your pro-rated dues.
To quality for active membership in MTANS, you must:
- Be a graduate of a program in massage therapy of at least 2200 hours in length, from a university, college or school, regulated by the respective educational regulatory agency of the applicable province or territory of the institution. The program must be comprised of the minimum standard of education as established by The Canadian Massage Therapist Alliance. Or,
- Have completed a bridging program through a recognized school. The program must ensure that your educational qualifications are substantially equivalent to the 2200 hour standard outlined in part a.
Applicants who do not meet the above criteria, including:
- Those who graduated from massage therapy programs of less than 2200 hours in duration, or
- Those who have not practised massage therapy in the past three years, or
- Those who were trained outside of Canada
Must complete the Credentialing and Prior Learning Assessment (CPLA) before being considered for registration with the association. If this situation applies to you, please contact the MTANS office for further information.
Ready to get started?